Re: [Evolution] Evolution release and major regressions, a longtime user's thoughts

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 13:23 -0400, Andrew Montalenti wrote:
Though I agree that the Ubuntu maintainers probably should have done
more testing of Evolution in order to declare it a show-stopper, the
problem is that Ubuntu considers the GNOME stable release to be a
baseline.  Ubuntu rarely (perhaps never) includes a mix of stable
GNOME
software at version N and some GNOME software at N-1.  Occasionally,
Ubuntu will include GNOME software at version N and some pieces at N+1
that didn't make the cut for GNOME but are stable enough for general
use.

And that is precisely the problem.  N+1 is appropriate for Debian
Experimental, but not for Debian Stable.  Ubuntu doesn't have those
designations, and when a new version of the distro is released, it is
released with the implication that it is stable.  With Intrepid that is
far from the case.  Kubuntu Intrepid was almost unusable when released.
Not just Kontact (which actually was stable as it still used the 3.5
libs) but the desktop itself.

You have actually reminded me that Evo was more stable before the
update.  I have been using the current version, and living with these
problems long enough that I had forgotten that they weren't present
before.

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075