[Evolution] evolution exchange

I need some help please.

We use exchange at work and I sync to my phone and my desktop (using
exchange 2003 rpc over http).

It all works a bomb.  If I read a mail at work, it gets marked as read
everywhere.  If I delete a message, it disappears everywhere etc.  In
short, all versions remain identical.

So I purchased a laptop, put Ubuntu on it and loaded Evolution with the
exchange connection.

Problem is, the emails downloaded to evolution don't keep in sync with
the exchange server.  I spent today deleting and tidying up emails and
when I get home, they are all still in Evolution.

Am I doing something wrong?