Re: [Evolution] Newbie Questions

On Sun, 2008-11-30 at 16:58 +1100, Andrew J Fortune wrote:
Sorry but I looked here, and found answers to none of the questions,
except (4) which Evolution cryptically refers to as "Expunge".

Expunge is an IMAP term, it's not specific to Evolution.

You need to understand the IMAP model for deleting messages: "delete"
marks a message for deletion, but doesn't remove it. "Expunge" removes
it. Evolution shows deleted messages in a Trash folder, but Trash is a
*virtual* folder, i.e. the messages have not physically moved. If you
deselect View->Hide Deleted Messages in some folder you'll see them in
their original positions, marked with a line through them. Expunging a
folder removes the marked messages in that folder. Emptying Trash is
equivalent to expunging all the marked messages in all folders. Before
you ask, you can't expunge an individual message.

IMAP has no operation for moving messages between folders. It only
allows copying. Evo has a "Move" operation, but it works as copy+delete,
and of course delete follows the above model. So after "moving" a
message you'll still see it in its original location (depending on your
View settings), but marked for deletion.

I've no idea how to import Outlook messages, but if they're on an IMAP
server there's no problem as you can just access them directly.
Alternatively, have them dumped as "mbox" files (one file per folder)
and import these into Evolution (mbox is the lowest-common-denominator
mailbox format under Unix/Linux and all clients support it at least for
importing).

Changing fonts is probably system-specific. In Linux it's mostly done by
the Gnome desktop, not by Evolution itself (but look under
Preferences->Mail Preferences->General). I don't know how this is done
in Windows.

Setting Evo as the default mail client is Windows-specific and has
nothing to do with Evolution as such (Evo might have a helper function
for it, but it might not). IIRC you right-click on something in the
Windows Start menu, but don't quote me :-)

I'm not sure what you mean by "saving" messages. You can move messages
between folders with drag-and-drop or select messages and do
Message->Move (or Copy). I imagine Evo supports the usual Windows method
of Ctrl-Click to select multiple messages. Or use filters if you want to
automate it. Note that automatic filters only work on Unseen messages
(check the FAQ), but you can also apply them manually (Ctrl-Y).

poc

PS Please don't post to this list in HTML.

PPS Please don't top-post as it makes threads harder to read.