[Evolution] Gmail keeps expunging when using evolution

Hi everyone:

I have a strange problem. I have been using Evolution and have my
accounts setup for gmail. When I go to my gmail account on gmail's site
my  mail is there, but when I try to download my mail in evolution a
popup box comes up and tells me that is is checking the mail and then it
grabs the mail and then says that it is expunging the mail when I didn't
want or tell it to. I have checked my settings repeatedly as well as
deleted and recreated the account more than once but it is still
expunging email. Is there a way to stop the expunging of my email? Thank
you.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.