Re: [Evolution] Forwarding messages using rules

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 16:49 +0000, Vatachino wrote:
Hi list,

I would like to use Evolution to forward selected email from a
Microsoft Exchange server to a separate (gmail) account.

This issue has been raised several times on this list and elsewhere (a
Google search gets over 200 hits on the archive of this mailing list).
The question is invariably answered by suggesting the use of a script,
and sendmail or mutt as a final delivery agent.

In my case this is impossible, because there is no access to external
SMTP (firewalled), and the Exchange server does not offer SMTP either.
The only way I have found of sending an outgoing email is using the
Exchange server itself, using the Evolution backend.

If there is no access to SMTP, then you are going to have problems
getting anything to send any messages to an external account!

Am I missing something?

Yes:  an SMTP server!

If not, could I suggest that the sentence describing the filters on
http://projects.gnome.org//evolution/features.shtml is changed,
because it describes a feature which does not exist. I installed
Evolution after reading that sentence specifically because I wanted to
do what it says - to automatically send a copy to another person.

It doesn't say that it "automatically" sends a copy.  It says, as an
example, that filters can be used to send a message, and it does that
using an external script.

P.