[Evolution] Exchange GAL (?) Autocomplete Often Makes System Unresponsive

GNOME evolution 2.24.1 on Ubuntu 8.10

I use evo for corporate email against our Exchange server.

Every other email (roughly), during autocompletion (or editing of the
"To" line), evo will become unresponsive anywhere from ~30 seconds to
~5 minutes. At least some of these times, gnome-panel is unresponsive
(I can't switch apps and clicks on the panel don't do anything,
including any icon hover effects).

Questions:
1. Is this a known issue?
2. How do I troubleshoot it? (I've turned on exchange debugging, but I
don't know what to make of what I see.)

Thanks,
Jamie