[Evolution] External editor plugin 2.22.1

Hi folks,

I'm using the Debian testing package of Evolution 2.22.1, and I'm very
excited about the external editor plugin. However, I am unable to get
evolution to use an external editor.

The plugin appears and is checked in the plugin manager (although there
are no configuration options), and there is an entry "Compose in
External Editor" in the File menu, although there is no associated
submenu.

Has anyone had any success with this plugin on a similar system, and is
there any further configuration that I might have missed?

Cheers,

-Dave