[Evolution] archiving ms exchange email with evolution?

Hello
I started using evolution today with my office's ms exchange account (on debian etch, incidentally) and have run into an unfortunate issue:  cpu usage of the evolution process will periodically shoot up to 100%, taking roughly three minutes or so to recover.  This is sometimes triggered by quickly switching folders (i still have folder rules running on the exchange server), but not exclusively.
My mailbox is somewhat large (around 1.5GB pst when using ms outlook to verify), so i feel that this may be in part responsible for the problem.
1) is this the case?  microsoft outlook on windows has no issue running with a mailbox of this size; it's unfortunate that evolution may, and
2) exactly how does one "archive" email using evolution?  I haven't found anything in the gui which would explain how this might be done.

*note:  i tried to search the archives for a similar thread, but using the term "archive" in a search proves to be fruitless, for obvious reasons.