[Evolution] Message filtering not working

I'm a long time user of Thunderbird. It has been extremely slow since
switching from Windows to Ubuntu nine months ago. After doing a fresh
install of Xubuntu recently I've had the additional problem of not being
able to get my mailboxes and folders to show up.

I've decided to give Evolution another try. On my first attempt with it
several months ago I found message filtering cumbersome and abandoned
it, and I'm having difficulty with it again. It's just not working. I've
double-checked the filters to make sure they're set up right. E.g., I
have one set up to filter on the addresses in the "sender" and "to"
headers ïand the addresses specified in the filters is identical to the
ones that appear in the message headers. But when I click on "apply
filters" under "messages" nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA