[Evolution] Expunge Problem = Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync

I have been having problems with expunging. Evolution won't expunge - I
get the message:

"Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync"

and cannot get rid of the messages from Trash.

I checked on the Internet for some possible solutions. I made a copy
of .evolution/mail/local to local.BAK. When I looked inside local.BAK I
noticed that the file Inbox (containing messages that haven't been
filtered into subfolders) was only about 30mb instead of about 1.86gb. I
then went back to local and ziped Inbox and moved the zipped version
over to local.BAK. I tried unzipping but the file size was still 30mb.
To make a long story short, I tried mv'ing local to another name.
Unfortunately, this also truncated the Inbox file. I've never seen this
behavior. The zipped version also when unzipped is only 30mb instead of
1.86gb. I was trying to fix the expunge problem before backing up
evolution. There is plenty of room on the hard drive (about 57gb).

Any ideas on why this happened and how I can fix the expunge problem? If
I back up evolution am I likely to lose anything because of the expunge
problem?

Rick B.