Re: [Evolution] Evo started asking for Keyring password every time I start Evo

(forwarding to list, I somehow succeeded in replying directly)

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 13:11 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
ï> On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 09:54 -0500, HggdH wrote:

Have you opened a bug on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/)? I
think Ubuntu is running with some additional patches regarding
gnome-keyring integration.

I haven't opened a bug on launchpad, no, but I can. I guess you are
referring to the first problem I described, about the password
requests
in Keyring and SMTP?

Yes indeed. it is about password requests and gnome-keyring integration.

Also -- we have put some new proposed fixes for Evolution Hardy. You
will have to enable the pre-release updates on
System/Administration/Software Sources/Updates to get it; then
update
the repositories, then select & install *all* evolution packages;
finally, on a terminal, issue 'evolution --force-shutdown', and
restart
Evo.

Sure, I can do that. May I ask,

(1) is this meant as a fix for the first
issue I raised, or the second?

It should fix the first one. The second one I am not sure (I do not
remember seeing it).

 (2) Are these pre-release updates safe,
and is there all sorts of other untested stuff going to be downloaded
in
addition to the fix?

Generically, pre-release packages are *not* safe. This is why I
suggested to 'select & install *all* evolution packages', as opposed to
'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'. There are other packages in the pre-release
cycle, for Hardy 8.04.1. *Most* of them are probably correct, but there
is always the chance of a error lurking somewhere.

Pre-release is provided for advance testing of updated packages. After a
period of time, and if no bugs are opened against it, then the
pre-release package is upgraded to official update.

                                (3) Is this setting just for today and
then to be turned off, or are you recommending that one leave this
setting permanently to enable pre-release updates?

That will depend on how familiar you are with Ubuntu. But, just by the
fact you asked the question -- being sure before doing something
potentially dangerous -- suggests you should *NOT* keep pre-release
packages enabled.

Please let me check what packages you would need to update for Evo, and
I will reply to you ASAP with them.

Thanks,
Swarup

you are welcome.