Re: [Evolution] Zimbra and Evolution

We were looking for a system that would give us an Exchange-like
environment and were recommended to use Zimbra.  Our tech person is
now establishing a Zimbra Server in our office to give us the ability
to share calendars and contacts as well as use our I-phones and Treos
without having to re-file our e-mails when we come into the office as
we all work remotely quite bit from Windows based evironments at home
as well.

We are now upgrading to Ubuntu with Evo 2.22.2 and with an on-site
Zimbra server.  This is all new to us, but our biggest concern is that
we would lose our folders and filters that we have spent many hours
setting up in Evolution when making the change.   Since we have had a
bad year with Evolution, we are inclined to move away from it entirely
and I admit to not fully understanding the advantage to keeping
Evolution on our desktops.  Wouldn't this mean that if we access our
Zimbra server from home, we would not have all of our e-mail data and
filters?  If so, this is not for us.  If so, how does that work?

That's not a problem - Evolution accesses email from the Zimbra server
using IMAP - this means that the mail is kept on the server all the time
and any alterations to the mail using the web client or another IMAP
client (such as Thunderbird or Outlook) from elsewhere will be picked up
by Evolution.

It sounds like you are getting the mail from the 1&1 server by POP -
this means that all your mail probably appears under "On This Computer"
in Evolution.  None of this will be lost or change when you move over to
the Zimbra server *if you continue using Evolution as your client*.
What will happen is that you will have another top level branch (like
"On This Computer") to the tree in Evolution that will be the mail on
your Zimbra IMAP server.  If you want to make some of your old email
visible to Zimbra, then you will have to copy the mail around within
Evo.

If you ditch Evolution, then in order to transfer your current mail to
Zimbra, then probably the easiest thing is to temporarily connect Evo to
Zimbra by IMAP and then copy everything you need over.  You will not be
able to transfer your filters since as far as I know there is no
programmatic externalisation of the Zimbra filters (i.e. you can't
change them from the client).

P.