Re: [Evolution] location of data files

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 13:23 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 12:11 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:29 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Look at the archives of this list. The same question has been answered
countless times.

Once more with feeling:
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#How_can_I_transfer_all_my_Evolution_data_between_computers.2Fto_a_new_partition.2Fto_a_new_computer.3F

Heh.  Maybe we should edit the list description page to have this link
in it :-)

I've asked for the pointer to the FAQ to be included in the standard
footer that all the list messages have, but nothing's happened so far.

However there *is* a pointer to the FAQ under the Help menu in recent
versions of Evo, which is an improvement.

Ideally it would be somewhere people would see it BEFORE they sent their
email, but pointers to the FAQ would definitely help.

However, I do have to say I feel Jimmy's pain a bit here.  It does seem
like, if we can document the process to do this recovery in the FAQ we
should be able to create some easier-to-use facility for doing it.  A
shell script _at least_, if not something more integrated into
Evolution.  Maybe a script that can be run to "bundle up" all the
relevant info from the old system (having it be a script instead of/in
addition to an option from a menu or something allows for it to be run
in situations like Jimmy's, where you can't run Evolution anymore on the
old environment), then an option on the Evo "Import" menu that would
import that bundle.

I honestly don't know enough about gconf etc. to understand how many of
the steps (such as "shut down gconfd completely" etc.) are absolutely
required and don't have a "nicer" way of implementation.