Re: [Evolution] Evolution file association problem

Hi Milan

Thanks for the speedy response!

You put me right on track.  It appeared from gnomevfs-list that there was no mime type available for gnomevfs for my .doc and .xls files.  This is strange since I could open them by clicking on them in Nautilus.

Good help info from: http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mimetypes-9.html.en

Anyway, I fixed and added the necessary .xml files in my ~.local/share/mime/packages directory and ran

update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime/.

Oh, yes, I had to close Evolution and open it again - voila I can click on attachments to open them and drag and drop files to attach to outgoing emails.

I must say, it is really difficult to figure out the details of the MIME system in Linux (I use Ubuntu).

Thanks again.

GS

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 09:25 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 08:36 +0200, Grove Steyn wrote:
> If I click on a msword (.doc) file in Evolution nothing happens. It
> opens other file types such as .pdf no problem. (I have Cross Over
> Office installed)
>
> When I run Evolution from the command line, it produces the following
> message when I click on a .doc file:
>
> e-attachment-bar.c-Message: DEBUG: Launch failed: There is no default
> action associated with this location.
>
> Evolution also does not register the correct mime type for .doc files
> when I attach a .doc file to an outgoing email. It registers it as an
> "octet stream".
>
> Help will be greatly appreciated
>
> GS

	Hi,
it seems you've problem with your mime type database, Evolution 2.22.x
uses gnome-vfs, thus it uses same information as is produced by
   $ gnomevfs-info your_doc_file.doc

You should have filled at least these two values:
   MIME type         : application/msword
   Default app       : openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop

The "Default app" with the Cross Over Office probably.

There is some procedure to regenerate (update) the mime type database,
but I'm not aware of exact steps how to do that, I'm sorry.

	Hope that helps,
	Milan