[Evolution] Non-unicode attachment names are unreadible

Hi Pete!

Thanks for your interest.

In fact I'm not sure that calling characters in Turkish language as non-unicode is correct. Please forgive any wrong information I gave.

I've set any option (in fact there are 2, one in mail prefs., other in composer prefs.) in Edit->Preferences dialog as "ISO-8859-9 Turkish". If I set view -> character
encoding to "ISO-8859-9 Turkish" also, then message body becomes unreadible. So I leave it set as Default.

If the problem were with the mails I receive, then it wouldn't be that much bother, but it's with the mails I send to other people, so it would be awkward to ask them to rename the attachments as they receive :/.

So is Evolution useless in this?

Thanks,
Janberk

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

> While sending mails with attachments, Evolution makes the names of the
> attachments unreadible if they have non-unicode characters, such as Ã,
> Ã, Ä, Å, Ä... While sending and recieving the message body is OK and
> when a non-unicode named attachment is received, again no problem.

If they are non-unicode, then there will be no hints as to what
character set the file names are actually in - and I suspect (although I
don't know and haven't looked) that the MIME standard will say that the
filenames have to be in 7-bit ascii.

What would you *want* Evo to do?  It can't really guess what charset the
names are (well it could, it's almost certainly a windows charset :-)) -
I suppose it could use the same charset as the body of the attachment,
but if it is non-readable content (like a document or image) then there
is no charset.

I suppose you could try altering the Evo charset (view -> character
encoding), but I doubt if it will change the rendering of the attachment
file names.

What happens when you save or view the file?  Unless you rename it, then
I suspect as well that it will be unusable on your Ubuntu system.

P.

Janberk Åahin
KoordinatÃr
Kapasitif DanÄÅmanlÄk Enerji BiliÅim ve ÄnÅ. San. Tic. Ltd. Åti.

Refik Saydam Cad. Åimal Sok. Åimal Han No: 14 Kat: 9 D: 91
BeyoÄlu / Ästanbul
Tel / Faks: 0 (212) 293 42 40
info kapasitif com
www.kapasitif.com