Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:36:43 -0500
From: "Art Alexion" <art RHD ORG>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Question about IMAP folders
To: "Patrick M. Kelecy" <pkelecy magneticpowermotion com>
Cc: Evolution User Group <evolution-list gnome org>

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 08:49 -0500, Patrick M. Kelecy wrote:
1. Organizationally, this is a little confusing.  Why are the imap
folders (drafts, sent, and trash) listed under inbox, rather than at
the
same level with it?  Having those within the inbox folder doesn't seem
logical.  On the IMAP server (looking at it via a webmail client,
Hordemail) it shows the main IMAP account with *four* folders under
it:
inbox, drafts, sent, and trash. That's how I would expect Evo to
handle
it as well.

What you are seeing via webmail is just based on the web programmer's
choice of presentation and may not really reflect the structure on the
server.  Evo will basically present you with the structure on the
server.  You may be able to move the folders using Evo to suit your
needs.  Drag and drop as you would local folders.

2. Are the folders, Junk and Trash (the ones listed at the same level
as
Inbox) local only?

No local folders are listed under "On This Computer"

3. I have a couple of POP mail accounts I would like to switch to
IMAP.
To do this, do I just create new IMAP accounts with the same name and
folder structure and then drag mail from one to the other?

I'm not clear on what you want to accomplish.  To begin understanding
IMAP, just envision that Evo is presenting you with the folders as they
appear on your ISP's server.  When you do things with folders in Evo,
you are making the changes on the server.  It is not the same, but
comparable to using FTP to move files and folders on a server.

--
Art Alexion
MIS
1. Organizationally, this is a little confusing.  Why are the imap
folders (drafts, sent, and trash) listed under inbox, rather than at the
same level with it?  Having those within the inbox folder doesn't seem
logical.  On the IMAP server (looking at it via a webmail client,
Hordemail) it shows the main IMAP account with *four* folders under it:
inbox, drafts, sent, and trash. That's how I would expect Evo to handle
it as well.

It depends on how your IMAP server presents the information to Evo.  The
way you are describing is, I think, the way Cyrus does it.  Certainly my
IMAP server (Dovecot) does it how you want.

2. Are the folders, Junk and Trash (the ones listed at the same level as
Inbox) local only?

The Junk & Trash are virtual folders - Trash is a list of all the mails
marked for deletion - Junk are all those marked as spam.

Note that with IMAP there's no such thing as 'delete' - you mark the
messages for deletion, and then expunge them.

P.

Message: 4