Re: [Evolution] Switching from POP to IMAP?

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 09:42 -0500, Patrick M. Kelecy wrote:
I know this is a basic question, but hope someone will indulge it
anyway.

I currently use POP3 for email (with Evolution as my mail client), but I
just recently switch to a new email provider (BlueHost) that supports
IMAP.  So I would like to switch from POP to IMAP to make it easier to
check email from different locations and computers (something that's
awkward to do with POP).

So my question is how exactly do I make this switch? Is it just a matter
of setting up the corresponding IMAP accounts in Evo, and the mail
server will take care of the rest, or is there more involved?

Just set up the account and start using it. Evo will still recognize
your old account as "On This Computer" (meaning POP) and your new
account will appear as a separate folder hierarchy under Bluehost (or
whatever name you give it). That includes separate Trash, Junk, Drafts
and Sent folders, the latter two depending on how you set them up.

If you have filters set to file your incoming mail in folders, you'll
need to edit them to reflect the new structure.

Also, I currently have a fairly extensive directory structure in Evo
where I keep all the old email I want to save.  Will this structure (and
old email) get uploaded to the mail server as well when I make the
change?

Not automatically, but once your IMAP account is set up you can drag
your old mails to it, including folders, and delete the local copy if
you like.

Note that not all IMAP providers are created equal, and uploading large
quantities of mail like this can be unreliable. I would recommend doing
it in bite-sized chunks, or using a special uploader such as imapsync
(http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync/dist/)

poc