Re: [Evolution] Evolution ghastly slow.

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 10:58 -0700, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
I'm running Evolution for my mailer on CentOS 5.2 (yes, I know it's OLD,
but it's supposed to be STABLE), Evo v. 2.12.3, and I'm seeing the most
horrendously slow responses when I save an email to a folder.  Some are
quick, but most of them are awfully slow, and there are only a small few
that are larger than 20MB or so.

What should I look for that might be inhibiting a decent response.  By
slow, I mean 10-30 seconds, sometimes more, for the action to be taken.
This is an AMD 64x2 2.2GHz system with 4GB of main memory, so I don't
think the hardware is the problem, and everything else on the system is
extremely (and satisfyingly) fast.

It's important to say what *kind* of folder. Is it local or remote? If
local, is it an mbox and if so how big is it? Has it been expunged
(compacted) recently? It might also be relevant to know something about
the disk and filesystem the folder is on, e.g. a USB-conected external
disk versus a local SCSI disk, an ext3 filesystem versus a FUSE
filesystem such as NTFS-3g. If the folder is remote, what kind of server
is it? When you say sometimes it's quick but mostly it's slow, are you
talking about the same folder or different ones? Is there any
correlation with how long the Evo session has been running?

poc