[Evolution] Send/Receive Button transparent

I am new to evolution an am trying to set it up for my personal use on a Debian 64bit platform. The version of evolution I installed is 2.6.3. I have created my mail accounts and see them listed under preferences > mail accounts.

My problem is that the SEND/RECEIVE button is greyed out and the F9 key does nothing. Is thier something else that I need to do or set to activate it for use

Regards,