Re: [Evolution] Spellchecker deactivated

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 18:52 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 17:33 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
Hello,

My Evo spellchecker has stopped working. It was working fine. In the
process of trying to fix a spellchecking problem I was having in gedit,
I uninstalled and reinstalled Aspell. And since reinstalling Aspell, it
is working fine again in Gedit. But since reinstalling Aspell, Evo's
"spellchecking" option at the bottom of the "Edit" drop-down menu in a
new letter window, is grayed out.

I went into Evo's Edit -> Preferences in the main window toolbar, and
opened composer preferences -> spellchecker. There I found that no
languages are offered in the window where the various languages ought to
be listed. It does say that it will only list the languages for which
dictionaries have been installed. But I have multiple aspell
dictionaries installed-- including English, Spanish, Bengali, and
Hindi.

So why isn't the spellchecker working now in Evo?

Do you have gnome-spell?

Thank you. :)
It must have gotten removed in the above described process I did. So
that is why the spell checker in Evo wasn't working. I just reinstalled
gnome-spell using Synaptic Package Manager, and now it is working fine
again.

Actually, this gnome-spell is really something great-- it allows you to
activate the spellchecker for several languages at once. So if you're
writing a letter with parts in English, Spanish, and Japanese, you can
activate all three languages and that way you won't get any unnecessary
red underlining.

Is this capacity for multiple language spellchecking a property of Evo,
or of gnome-spell? I ask because the Gedit Text Editor uses Aspell and
does not have this capacity. I would like to be able to enable such a
capacity in Gedit, and I don't know whether to focus on Gedit, or on
Aspell. Does it sound like the limitation of one-language spell-checking
is due to Gedit, or to Aspell? Do Aspell and Gnome-spell differ in this
regard?

Swarup