Re: [Evolution] How to import address book from Thunderbird?

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 17:10 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

Thank you. I just now saw your reply here. Yes, someone else also
suggested this to me on the Ubuntu Support Forum. I tried it, and it
worked-- to a certain extent. That is to say, it did bring in all the
addresses. But the main problem is, that it did not retain the way in
which the addresses were organized. There are a large number of
addresses, but they are kept in six different mailing lists. And now all
the addresses are just listed singly in the Evolution address book.
Which is not much help to me, as I need the mailing lists.

I did the import using csv. Do you think it would be any better if I did
it via LDIF? Or will I still face the same problem?

Probably.

Evo is doing as you requested: importing the addresses into your
addressbook.  There is no information in either csv or ldif about
mailing lists - or contact lists as Evolution calls them.

Actually I was wrong - the LDIF format does contain information about
address lists and it does import them properly into Evo.

That is great news.

(1) Export each of my mailing lists from Thunderbird as a separate file?

When I open Thunderbird and open the address book, and go to its tools
-> Export window, there seems to be only the option to export the entire
address book.

Perhaps the way to do it would be to create a separate address book for
each mailing list? And then export the address book? If that is the way
to do it, then I need to find out how to create another address book and
copy and paste the mailing list to it. If this is the proper approach
and you know how, then kindly guide me.

File -> New -> Address book

Then drag the mailing list into the new address book and export it.

ok, thanks. That is very clear.

(2) When I do the import into Evo, I should import each list as a
separate address book. How do I do that?

Here are the instructions I know for doing an import of addresses:

In Evolution,
* Go to Contacts Window View
* Click File --> Import
* Go ahead and select "import a single file" option when asked
* Select the file we created when exporting from Thunderbird
* Then import the contacts

So, where in this sequence do I select that I want the addresses to go
into a separate address book?

Create the address book first (File -> New -> Address book) then it asks
you towards the end where to import the file to.

Again, thank you-- very clear.

So I'll try it again today, first with the LDIF. If that doesn't do the
trick for any reason, then I'll delete it all and try over this time
with the step-by-step method we have discussed.

Its always good to have more than one method accessible.

Actually the reason I am doing this, is because we have a daily
newsletter we publish, and since switching over from Windows/Eudora to
Ubuntu/Thunderbird a few weeks ago, the mailing list has gone from
taking 20 minutes to send out, to over an hour to send out. That,
despite the fact that we were using a dial-up connection in Windows and
now we are using a high-speed EVDO connection. So it ought to only take
5 minutes or so. I know the delay doesn't seem from the internet
connection, since we've migrated to a much faster connection. Someone
told me they thought Evo would post the mail faster than TB, so I
thought I would try that. And if it doesn't make any difference, then I
was going to try another person's suggestion to use what he called "mass
mailing software" such as pommo or alpine. I haven't gotten that far
yet, and am hoping that Evo will solve my problem. Don't know if you
have any thoughts about it?

Thanks for all your help,
Swarup