[Evolution] New Email = Crazy CPU Consumption / HDD Utilization

Whenever I create a new email my CPU usage and disk usage goes crazy.
Sometimes for long periods of time (10 minutes).  I'm assuming this has
something to do with the GAL and my contacts in Exchange.  This has been
the case since like the 2.8 days.  Currently I'm using:
evolution-data-server-1.12.1
evolution-exchange-2.12.1
evolution-2.12.1

I have hundreds of contacts in Exchange and thousands in the GAL.
Anyone else having this problem?  How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

-James