[Evolution] valid greeting from POP server

I have been having problems with the Gmail POP account lately, it used to work fine, and the problem started with out making any changes to settings.  I get a:

Failed to read a valid greeting from POP server 72.14.247.109

return when issuing a send / receive command.

Other email accounts work fine, and after a while, without making any changes, Gmail becomes functional again.

Any others?

Any suggestions?

rbwerst hotmail com

Thanks