[Evolution] Evolution crashing and lost Inbox

I'm using Evo 2.6.1 on Ubuntu 6.06. The last few times starting Evo it
opens then crashes, showing a "Restart Application" prompt. I finally
got it to open, but doesn't download messages, and my Inbox from
August onwards has disappeared! Yikes!

The last few days it also seemed to have problems synchronising
folders or something like that.

Any ideas what's about what's happening? I am an informed consumer
rather than a geek, so don't know much about the innards.

Thanks very much.

Gerald.