Re: [Evolution] Moving to Evo from Thunderbird?

and stop displaying that annoying message dialog when it does the server check for messages...

just display a small progress bar in the bottom portion of the window with a cancel operation button.

jm2cts.
Wendell

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 17:43 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:
One thing that's always bothered me about Evo is that when it's checking folders or refreshing something, or otherwise connecting to the IMAP server, it refuses to download messages when I click them until it's done or I stop it manually... it seems that in the interest of usability, Evo should prioritize viewing new messages, and cancel the current synchronization operation (or somehow multitask) when the user tries to view a message.
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 14:39 -0500, Chris Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 13:37 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:38 -0500, Chris Williams wrote:
> > Admittedly, I only use Evo to check 5-7 IMAP accounts and occasionally a
> > Groupwise account.  I guess I just wanted to comment that there are
> > cases where Evo has, and continues to be rock-solid for some users.
>
> No doubt, but in a way that's actually more worrying. i.e. Evo works for
> some people most of the time and for other people not so much. Evo in
> all its incarnations has had variable levels of reliability for me, on
> two different machines, always using Fedora and KDE. The distro packages
> have I think been more reliable than self-compiled versions, which might
> mean something. Right now I'm using a self-compiled 2.12.1 on F7 with
> all distro updates installed and the entire UI freezes every few seconds
> when I'm typing, when changing folders, and when (apparently) contacting
> the IMAP server, plus evolution-alarm-notify sometimes eats 100% of CPU
> and has to be killed (I notice because I monitor my CPU temperature!).

Oh, definitely.  As a (non-Evo) developer, I do value consistency and I
have to agree that I haven't always seen that with this product.  I
certainly didn't meant to imply that Evo has no problems at all.  In
fact, a lot of distro upgrades were solely because of bugs/quirks or
inability to upgrade because of all the Gnome dependencies.  I will
agree that I probably have an extra level of stability through the use
of distro packaging.  I will easily admit I went to distro-only
packaging because of many of the quirks I encountered while using the
"real" releases.

> On a different note, my junk filters simnply do not work at all (they do
> with the distro package). I've tried SA and Bogofilter and they are
> never automatically activated (I'm tracking them with a log file).

I see occasional problems with filters as well, and junk filtering does
seem to work sometimes while not others. Frustrating.

> Tomorrow Fedora 8 will be released so I'll be able to upgrade and
> hopefully these issues will go away, but it's annoying to try and stay
> up with the latest Evo's only to find some missing funcionality for
> reasons that are not clear. Before anyone asks, upgrading to the Rawhide
> version means installing a large number of additional packages so I
> don't care to do that, having had other stability problems with Rawhide
> in the past.

Good luck with the upgrade.  I saw many improvements moving from
Ubuntu's 2.10 to 2.12 packages.

--chris

  Wendell MacKenzie
System Engineer
Phone: 613.782.5736
Mobile:  416.997.7934
IM/other: mackendw
wendell bea com
BEA Systems, Inc.
Corporate Office, USA
2315 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95131
Fax: 408.570.8901
www.bea.com
  The 2 most important rules in life:: 1. Don't tell everything you know

Notice: This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information of BEA Systems, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.