[Evolution] Using Evolution as a newsreader

I just started using Evolution (on openSUSE 10.2) and like that I  am
able to monitor newsgroups in the same application I check my email.

I had a few issues with it though when first setting it up, and still
have some that are troubling me, that I was hoping someone could help
with:

1. When I first set it up I originally subscribed to about a dozen or so
newsgroups. However, when it went to synchronize (i.e. download
messages) it took it a very very long time and never really did finish.
So I ended up dropping some.  I don't know why it was taking so long
(perhaps downloading entire messages rather than just headers?).  Does
anyone know, or have any suggestion on how to speed this up?  I'd like
to add back some of the groups I dropped.

2. Another glitch I encountered was that some of the newsgroups I
subscribed only downloaded a few messages (even though I know there are
lots more there) while some downloaded several years worth!  Any idea
why that would be or how I can control that.

3. Is there any documentation available on this feature?  I looked but
wasn't able to find much in the normal Evolution documentation.

Thanks for any help with this. -Pat