[Evolution] Error messages in Evolution using POP

Hi

Have been using Evolution 2.10.1 for 2 days having been, dare I say an Outlook fan.
I have followed the set up instructions contained in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingGmailWithEvolution. Who ever wrote it, full marks.

Problem 1.When manually sending/receiving an error :URL 'pop://@(null)/;use_ssl=never' needs a username component: is given. The messages are retrieved from the server?
When timed receive/sends are initiated the message :Failed to read a valid greeting from POP server pop.gmail.com: is seen. Any advice?

Problem 2. How can I migrate the contacts and calender information from Outlook?

Is it intended to have the facility to customise the tool bar?

Regards

Brian