Re: [Evolution] Imorting wizard

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:25 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I prefer Thunderbird filtering by a long shot over Evolutions.
Much faster and neater.  It takes up to 100 times longer to do a
major mail sort (not junk) into mail boxes compared to Thunderbird.
I fought for two months to get things working correctly and fast in
Evolution.

I can filter 1000 messages in Thunderbird in under 2 minutes. On Evolution it takes over an hour from the Exchange server to my
local mail boxes.  And this is with one single filter and the same
messages.

My one and only filter moves my mail from the Exchange (no pop or
imap) server inbox to a local box.

Also, I found some of the messages I never could get the filters to
 actually move to the correct locations.

I know that the main speed issue is due to Evolution Connector but
that doesn't deal with the filtering in comparison to
Thunderbird's.

AFAIK Thunderbird doesn't deal with Exchange at all, so you aren't comparing apples with apples. You'd need to compare Evo with Outlook
in this context.

poc

No, I am comparing filtering to filtering as the program handles it.

Even filtering the same messages that were grabbed off the exchange
server and exported to Thunderbird.  I use Evolution to get the mail
from the Exchange server then export it to be used in Thunderbird.

At first I tried to filter all my mail on the server but that didn't
work.  Then I tried to move the mail to individual local folders and
again that didn't work as expected.  Deleting all the filters and
folders and moving everything to one single folder is slow enough.

There are some features in the Evolution filters that look good but
didn't work as I expected but that could take some testing to find out why. I still have to do my normal work.

Some of it is the difference in terminology between Evolution and
Thunderbird in setting the filters that would take more time to figure
out than I have at the time.

I am learning that the biggest delay in using Evolution to filter mail
is the stupid OWA but this is beyond my control as we don't have imap or pop.

I will say that with some work, I probably could get Evolution to filter the same way that Thunderbird does. But it is the speed issue that is a concern to me.

When time permits and I get caught up with my email, I will look at this more.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.