Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: Re: Evolution-Connector W/ Exchange 2007]

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 20:43 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 08:54 -0600, Veerapuram Varadhan wrote:

2.11.5 will be one of the rock-solid releases in the history of
Evolution-exchange connector.  If you are not an user of Exchange 2007
and have issues, feel free to direct to us.  I think Reid and others
would agree to me on this - we will work on the issue and resolve it.

I'm all for anything that makes the system more stable.  I don't use
shared folders or shared calendars (just free/busy to schedule
meetings), and foverall Evo works well.  I don't want to whine too
much because I well remember the Evo 1.4 days and how buggy the
connector was back then, and life has improved dramatically since
then!

But, there ARE still serious problems in Evo/Connector (I'm using
2.10.1 on Ubuntu Feisty):

436628: No reminders for scheduled meetings
This is probably the worst one.  The main reason I moved to Evo was to
get reminders for my meetings.  I still regularly am late to or
completely miss a meeting or two a week because of this (I missed two
meetings just today!!)

We have worked on this issue, IIRC and have fixes for it.  We will be
comitting it for 2.11.5.

442098: New mail shows up in the folder but not in the summary window
This one is a killer for productivity.  If it weren't for the fact
that it only happens on my system at home and not my work system I'd
be tearing my hair out.  I literally have to restart Evo every 15
minutes or so to see my new mail when I'm at home.

This one is a serious issue and I have been trying hard to reproduce,
but in vain.  I have worked with couple of users on this in #evolution
IRC channel in irc.gimp.org.  Can anyone of you - whoever is facing this
issue - give me a scenario to reproduce this reliably?  I can guarantee
a fix in 2 days, once I have the scenario.  Our test environment works
fine and that cannot be really relied upon for such bugs.

442186: Delete of the first Exchange message after Evo starts takes
~30 seconds
This is just a small thing but (combined with 442098 which causes me
to stop/start Evo many times a day) it's quite annoying.

This is fixed and will be committed for 2.11.5.  Once the fix is
committed, I will update the bug with a little-readme about the fix.

436615: Editing existing meetings with Address Book deletes all
attendees
This is truly annoying; I only rate it lower because if you're paying
attention you can usually avoid the problem (by not using the Address
Book).

436619: Adding a meeting room as "Resource" gives "unable to book"
This is another annoying one but once you know the trick you can work
around it so it's not as important.

Here's the thing: these bugs have all been filed for weeks, and yet
there has not been a single note filed, request for more info, or any
other indication anyone even knows they exist.  I often see people on
this list ask if a bug has been filed in Bugzilla but I don't see much
incentive for anyone to do so: to me it seems like the only way an
issue gets much traction is to raise it here rather than Bugzilla.

I agree with you on this.  We weren't doing great with bugzilla, but,
recently we started improving our activities.  However, it would take
little time and in order to quicken up, I have created
http://www.go-evolution.org/Connector-bugs for easier interaction with
the development team.  (A little duplication, but effective)

Just my $0.02.

Very much appreciated.  Devs/Hackers have their own priority of tasks
and are quite prone to miss paying attention to bugs immediately.  This
kind of a friendly poke will help them adjust their priority to
accommodate some of these as TODOs.

BTW, is it possible to run Evo 2.11 without installing all of Gnome
2.19?  In other words, can I build Evo (even if I use garnome and
build all of gnome and install it in a separate location) but then
just run Evo 2.11 with my Feisty Gnome 2.18.1 desktop?  Or does Evo
depend on some features only available in Gnome 2.19?
Yes, it is possible and you don't need other GNOME 2.19 modules - except
libsoup, gtkhtml, EDS, Evolution and Evolution-exchange for running
latest and hot 2.11.x code base.

Thanks,

V. Varadhan

--
Veerapuram Varadhan <vvaradhan novell com>

 Novell, Inc.
Software for the Open Enterprise™
http://www.novell.com