[Evolution] New list member and curious.

I've never heard about Evolution before. Can one use this email client
without using the desktop? I'm very disgusted with Windows Mail. I
really don't care for Thunderbird's set up. I wanted something closer
to the functionality I had with Outlook Express. I quite literally
stumbled over the name of this email client when I downloaded Open
Office. I refuse to have Office 2007 and I won't buy another copy of
Windows 2003.