[Evolution] Evolutions goes offline when opened

I have Evolution 2.10.2 as part of Debian testing.
It goes offline instantly after starting: I can see the icon change from
online to offline.
the gconf setting for this is start offline false.
I am not using network manager, and eth0 is disabled because I am using a
wireless interface.
I can not work out which preference setting may cause this.

I don't want to post a bug because I am a new user, so I guess there is a
simple fix. I find nothing useful in bugzilla