Re: [Evolution] Evolution doesn't save state

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 09:23 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 10:41 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 10:43 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

No IMAP in my case. Not allowed with the IT staff. Only OWA using the connector. It may have been fixed in the newer versions of Evolution that what was on FC4 but I have gotten into the routine of expunging my mail before closing Evolution after I had a stuffed inbox with moved (deleted) messages. At least messages marked for deletion.

I will have to test again to see if this is working correctly in FC6.

But the issue is when Evolution does it's tasks. They should be done immediately, not when Evolution closes. This brings up the question of how it handles crashes, just as mine did this morning?

First Evolution is much improved when we get to FC7 or FC6. It is my experience that the state is saved after a crash.
And I don't want deleted mail to completely disappear from the folder
until I restart evolution which is when expunging really happens not on
closing evolution. If you tell the system to hide deleted messages the
messages disappear from the folder view and show up in the Trash view,

But there is a problem with that. If you have a group of messages with
the same subject and your mail is sorted by date in ascending order. Now
if you delete the first message in the group the rest of the messages
will jump to the date of the first undeleted message. Thai makes it very
hard to follow a thread of messages. Unhiding the deleted messages stops
that behavior and as I have said before lets you look back at a previous
deleted message very easily. I like the way evolution does this. Also
unlike on FC4 in F& the spamassassin spam removal really works.
--

I checked my setting this morning and I don't have Hide Deleted checked. This makes sense with the move message as the display shows the messages then marks them deleted and then the screen goes clear.

Now this is where the fun starts.

No messages are displayed in the screen. I then expunge the mail and it takes seconds to minutes to go from 0% to 100%, depending on the number of messages that I had received. If I do an expunge right after the first one, it just flashes the indicator.

Doing it again. After my inbox goes empty, it took almost a minute to expunge after 57 messages were moved.

I then waited for another message. Moved it. Checked that it was in the Deleteditems folder. Closed Evolution. Made sure it was not running any processes according to PS and then started evolution again. Lo and behold, the message was still in the Deleted items folder. I still needed to expunge to get rid of the moved message. Now I know why the IT person was upset.

Running ver 2.8.3 on FC6

I had assumed that no messages in the display indicated all the messages had been removed from the system. Move to me means, move the message to the folder that I want it in and then delete (remove) all traces of the message from the original location. Not make copies and store them someplace else until a later date.

Now I see what is happening and I don't like it. As with the OP's comment, things should happen the way I tell the program to do it. If I move a message, it should be done at that time. Not some date in the future when something could have corrupted or affected the state of my system.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.