[Evolution] Sometimes evolution refuses to start...why?

I have a small, and seemingly random problem with evolution.  Sometimes I have to quit and restart (such as when it refuses to display any messages), and sometimes then it just won't restart.  I've tried "evolution --force-shutdown" to shut it all down, but I still can't start it.  Now I know I will be able to solve this with a reboot, but surely there's a less drastic method?  What is it that's likely to be stopping evolution from starting, and how can I get round it?

Oh, the version is: "Gnome evolution-2.2 2.2.1" under Suse 9.3.

Thanks,
Alasdair