Re: [Evolution] Slow Evolution - OWA - Evolution connector

Evan Klitzke wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 13:28 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
Hello,

I was forced to Evolution from Thunderbird when we moved to exchange server from pop/smtp. Our exchange server doesn't have pop or imap access so this means the Linux users have to use Outlook Web Access to get our mail. This is a very slow and tedious problem.

To venture a wild guess, I would say that there is something broken in
the Exchange code that is causing Evolution to filter messages really
suboptimally. If this is the case, then there probably isn't much you
can do (other than wait for a developer who is familiar with Exchange to
fix the problem). In this case, it is probably best for you to try to
fetch the mail from the server, dump it somewhere in Maildir format, and
then run Courier IMAP locally. You can then access the email via
Evolution and probably won't experience the filtering issue (and you
could also switch back to Thunderbird, if that is what you prefer).

Obviously fetching mail from an Exchange server isn't easy, which is why
you are using Evolution in the first place. One (admittedly not great)
solution is to keep Evolution open all the time checking for mail, and
then have it keep a local copy of the email. I think there is a way to
have Evolution store the local copy in Maildir format (not sure). Then
it's just a matter of pointing Courier to your mail directory and using
IMAP to access the mail.

Hope this helps.

This is close to what I do do. I do not leave Evolution open because it won't honour the check mail setting that I have set for it. I don't want my mail updated every minute but every 30 minutes. Of course when I first start it, the 30 minutes are over before all my mail is moved to my local machine.

The talk of Brutus is a no-go because it requires Windows and that would require getting a Windows machine.

What we have been looking at is using the forward options and have our mail forwarded to our local machines running a mail server then access the mail using whatever tools we like.

As for the Exchange server setup. That is an Corporate issue. The person(s) that were to setup this mess refused to come to our local site because it was "to far from home." Nice.

Of course, Exchange server does support pop and imap clients if they are enabled. Corporate says they cannot be enabled. Again stupid policy.

Oh well, since this move, my productivity has taken a nose dive.

--
Robin Laing