Re: [Evolution] Evo2.8 Filters

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 02:32 -0800, Evan Klitzke wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 12:11 +0200, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
I've recently upgraded to 2.8 (upgrade Suse to 10.2) and found that I
still get about 3 server backend crashes a day.
But after experimenting some more (again) I found that if I disable the
"auto" filtering of received Inbox messages, and do it by hand (Ctrl-A,
Ctrl-Y), I get a much more stable Evo.

Anyone have any ideas?
(I have about 20 filters)

I don't know what your situation is, but I am assuming that you are
accessing an IMAP account? If that is the case, and you are an
administrator on the server, you can configure the mail server to use
procmail/maildrop, and then do server-side filtering that way.

Or use Sieve of your server supports it. Unfortunately Evo doesn't give
you any help with either of these solutions.

A less intrusive way is to use the popfile IMAP module [1]. I have not
used popfile myself, but apparently you configure it to classify your
mail (based on bayesian classification), and it connects to your IMAP
account at regular intervals and sorts your mail. You can use this
approach as a regular user.

These solutions may not be optimal, but if you are experiencing
instability in Evolution it is probably the best that you will do.

[1]
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ExperimentalModules/ImapInstructions

However at
http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ExperimentalModules/ImapClients (bottom of the page) it says
that Evo is not recommended for use with the IMAP module of popfile. Note that this page is over two years
old, so who knows ...

poc