Re: [Evolution] Where does Evolution get its mime-type handlers?

Dear Norm and List,
   I struggled with this for a long time.  It seems that there are
.desktop files that contain this information.  The system-wide ones
you can edit as root are in /usr/share/applications and the local
ones (individual to each user) are in $HOME/.local/share/applications.
If you google around you can find instructions on what goes in these
files--I won't try to repeat it all here--or just follow the examples.
You will also find information about a bunch of other kinds of files
that keep this configuration information, but they seem to be
irrelevant in RHEL 4.4 with evolution 2.0.2 (which is what you
and I both have).
   Turns out there is an automatic way to get the information in that
I didn't find out about right away because I don't use nautilus.
But if you turn on nautilus, you can do this:  Store a file of the
type in question on your desktop, right click it, tell nautilus
what application to use to open it, then nautilus will write the
information in your $HOME/.local/share/applications and evolution
will use it.
   Hope this helps,
   George Reeke