[Evolution] Delete of last message doesn't select previous one

I have a weird thing going on.  I have two different systems both
running Ubuntu 6.10 (Evo 2.8.1), one at work and one at home.  Both
connect to the same Exchange server (the home one through a VPN).

In both cases I have my inbox sorted by ascending date (that is, the
newest messages are at the end and the oldest ones at the top)--this
works best for me since  when I read a message Evo automatically selects
the next one one down; if my messages are sorted the other way it
selects an older message instead of the next newer message.

On my system at home, after I delete the last message in my folder (the
one at the bottom), it automatically selects the previous one for me,
which is great.

On my system at work, after I delete the last message in my folder
NOTHING is selected at all.  This is bad, because in this case if I
switch to another desktop and back, or a new mail arrives, or whatever,
Evo automatically jumps back to the top of the folder and then I have to
scroll all the way back down to the bottom to see any new mail.  Very
annoying.

Can anyone tell me what I might have done to get the behavior I want on
my home system and how I could change my work system to behave the same
way?  I've looked through all the preferences and I don't see anything.