[Evolution] Evolution sometimes "hides" my emails

For some reason, every now and again evolution (2.2.1) clears out my inbox, presenting me with a blank space, where there should be lots of messages.  They have not been actually deleted (if I use MS web exchange, I'll get them); it's just that evolution, for some reason, won't display them.

It does, however, display all messages received since hiding the others.  How do I get the others back?  They are there on the server, but for some reason I can't access them.  Sometimes I can simply quit and restart evolution, and there they all are again; other times if I quit evolution I can't restart it (as I have mentioned in previous postings).  I have a nasty idea that it is in fact a problem with glib/gtk2, and not with evolution itself, but I don't know how to verify this, or to fix it.

Thanks,
Alasdair