Re: [Evolution] Very serious problem with evo-exchange 2.11.5

Hi Paul/others,

I have cooked up a patch for addressing this issue.  After a lot of code
reading/MS KB articles, this patch should be able to address the issue
of mails getting disappeared.

Paul:  Will it be possible for you to run a quick test on this patch and
report back?  The patch can be downloaded from: 


V. Varadhan
On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 00:12 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
I'm still seeing this problem; it happens constantly (every day,
sometimes multiple times a day).  I've done a build with the latest code
from SVN head yesterday and I still see it.

One odd thing, which might just be coincidence, is that it always seems
to truncate my inbox down so that all messages before July are invisible
and I can only see messages from July and August.  As before, the only
thing that recovers all my inbox (that I've found) is to remove the
~/.evolution/exchange and ~/.evolution/exchange/mail directories;
restarting Evo doesn't help.

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 19:55 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 09:09 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
This seems to have fixed the flakiness about first delete times and
showing only part of the Inbox, as far as I can tell after
stopping/starting a few times and not seeing these problems.  However,
the partial Inbox situation didn't happen immediately the first time
so it's also possible I just haven't hit it yet.

I just hadn't hit it yet :-/.  When I went to work I found that my work
system (also running Evo SVN HEAD, 2.11.5) had magically "disappeared"
most of my Inbox while I was at home, just like my home Evo did.

I removed the .evolution/exchange and .evolution/mail/exchange
directories at work, and then my Evo there was fine for almost the
entire day; I was beginning to think the problem was solved.

However, about 5pm or so it happened again: my work Inbox went from
having 130 message in it to having 4.  Note that it's not just that
there are only four summary lines shown: the counter of messages above
the folder bar ALSO says there are only 4 messages there.  Extremely

Stopping/starting Evo does NOT resolve this problem--since renaming the
directories does, though, I have to conclude that there is a bug
somewhere that is corrupting the exchange summary cache on disk.

And here's the kicker: when I got home my home version of Evo had ALSO
jumped to having just 4 messages in it!  When I left for work there were
130 or so, and no one was home all day (although I left my VPN running
so the Evo at home WAS keeping up with mail, etc.), and when I got home
just 4.

This seems to imply there's a "feature" of the incoming mail itself
that's instigating this corruption, NOT a GUI issue, since no one was
using the GUI.

Veerapuram Varadhan <vvaradhan novell com>

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]