Re: [Evolution] How to write in letters that have come in the In-Box

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 21:34 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 21:11 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I would support a facility for annotations (or memos if you prefer) as
long as it can be done in a cross-platform way.

However in a larger sense, this kind of discussion illustrates that the
traditional view of email is coming under strain. For many people, their
email store is where they conveniently keep and index all kinds of
random information, and I think MUAs are falling behind in supporting
this usefully. Time to invent Email-2.0?

I would like to know, do most other modern e-mail programs offer this
facility of editing in-coming mail, or not? Linux-based, Windows-based,
Mac-based-- whatever it may be, what is the current norm among most
e-mail programs? Does Thunderbird offer it, does Outlook offer it, does
Eudora offer it?

Hrm. I missed the thread.

Understand that, Not all servers/protocols allow to modify the contents
of a mail. So as poc mentioned in his mail, if the protocol (IMAP) does
not support it, no IMAP client can support it, with changes synced to
server.

Since my ancient Eudora software dating back to 1997 offers it, I
presumed that other, more current software must as well. What is the
usual facility in other current programs in this regard?

Did your mail-client software offered a way by which you can sync-up
these changes to the server ? If so, have you ever ensured that the
edited mail is same as the one that you received in the first place ?

It will be done in Evolution in a way by which you can create notes on
Evolution side (will not be synced to server) and will be associated to
the mail. Whenever the mail is opened, the associated-data will also be
displayed.

- Swarup