Re: [Evolution] Global Address List unusable slowness in Evo 2.10.1 (and 2.8 as well)

Thanks Veerapuran,

   I did select GAL for offline use (same with my exchange Contact list), I
don't notice any change in the behavior. A couple more questions...

-    Is Evo supposed to download the whole GAL every XX days (as set in the
interval)?? If so, perhaps the sheer size of my company's GAL is causing
problems?? (I think there are some 20000 to 30000 employees in this
company).

-   Does the "limit the GAL reponses" setting in the account properties
affect the caching?

My workaround for now is: As autocompletion in the Email Composer window
from the GAL or my exchange contacts is unusable, and also clicking on the
"TO" button on the composer and doing a manual search to the GAL is unusable
(every character I type has a 7 second delay, minimum), I found that if I go
to the Contacts view, then select the GAL, and type in a search string
manually, as the search is not launched until I press enter, at least I can
find the contact info, and then I copy the contact to my Personal (local)
contact list, and a second (!) backup copy to my exchange contacts. Also I
now do autocompetion from the Local contacts only.

This is far, far from ideal but at least works.

Another problem I run into is that I can not edit my Exchange contacts. I
can open the contact, but if Imodify any field (change a phone number,
email, or add a note), when I click OK I get a small window saying this:

  "Evolution Error" "Error Modifying Contact" "Other Error"

Which is not very helpful :).   Curiously, I can ADD and DELETE contacts in
my exchange folder. I only can't modify them.  Workaround: copy to my local
contact list, modify, delete in exchange, copy back to exchange.   Freaky
but at least works :)

Thanks a bunch,

Veerapuram Varadhan wrote:

Hi Ari,

From Evolution 2.10.x, we have added support for GAL caching.  All you
have to do is to choose it for offline use by right clicking on the GAL
addressbook.

Also, the refresh interval can be controlled using the gconf key
- /apps/evolution/addressbook/gal_cache_interval which would be set to 7
days by default.

HTH,

V. Varadhan