[Evolution] Calendar Reminders

Hi,

I have recently formatted and installed ubuntu on to my notebook. Along with this changeover I am switching to evolution for mail/calendar needs. I was just wondering if the following features were available, because I cannot seem to use them nor find any documentation/prior problems for people with this.

In the calendar, I would like to set an appointment (for a birthday) that sends me a reminder by email a week before it is due. When I try to add a customised alarm for this appointment I cannot select the "send an email" option.

I have only been able to find a single question about this at http://www.mail-archive.com/evolution-list gnome org/msg05714.html but no reply. Is there some sort of service that needs to be enabled?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Danni