[Evolution] Evolution CalDav and WebDav - thanks

Thanks for the response, was just enough to get me over the hill, see below...

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 12:00 -0400, evolution-list-request gnome org wrote:
Message: 1
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:05:10 +0100
From: Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk>
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Anyone ever gotten CalDav or On the Web to
	work?
To: evolution-list gnome org

> A. Is CalDav and "on the web" supposed to actually work?   Has anyone
> gotten them to work?   What are the correct URLs?

CalDav != WebDav  - You need a specific CalDav server rather than
just Apache configured with WebDav.  You need something like
Bedework or  RSCDS or the OSAF offering.  Unfortunately it seems
like things broke in Evo recently and CalDav stopped working. :-(

I clearly wasn't reading closely enough to spot that difference.  Thank you.  So, the paint isn't
really dry on the CalDav code.

> B. It seems that Caldav has the facility to allow entry of a userid,
> but not to refresh the calendar after a set time.

Yes.  CalDav is an interactive server - you need to login to it (like
with IMAP) and
the information in the calendar is polled about once a minute.

Interactive meaning that one could update the schedule as well?  (if it actually worked)

> C. It seems  "On the Web" has the facility to refresh, but no means of
> entering a userid.

"On the Web" are read only calendars and seem to be aimed at 'public'
things.  They work well with Google Calendars.

After I went back into the Apache config and commented out the following lines....
#
# WebDAV module configuration section.
#
<IfModule mod_dav_fs.c>
    # Location of the WebDAV lock database.
    DAVLockDB /var/lib/dav/lockdb
</IfModule>

<Location /cal/>
DAV On
#Neal turned all these off
# AuthType Basic
# AuthName "WebDAV Restricted"
# AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd/passwords
# require user webdav
</Location>

Then the "On the Web" calendar for my wife was loadable with a URL of:
webcal://webdav 192 168 100 133/cal/pat.ics.    I also can publish calenders without getting the
various security warnings in the Apache log files.

With the authorization data above it didn't successfully login.   I did make sure that /etc/httpd/passwd/passwords
had my intended password for user webdav.

What is odd is it seemed to ask me for password on a totally hit-or-miss basis.   I'm wondering if the "On The Web"
code doesn't really work when it has to negotiate an Apache password?

I suppose that if the apache security doesn't work, I could start a virtual host on a funky port which isn't accessible
through the firewall, and not worry about security for it.

> D. Is this some cruel joke?

Yes.

I have asked on this list previously about CalDav - it seems that the
CalDav standard is too young and evolving for Evolution to cope with
(I'm sure there's some snide comment one could make about Evolution
and evolving standards!).  It also looks like there is more desire to
get Exchange interoperability working than there is to get Evo working
with Open Standards.

My way of doing what you seem to want to do is the following - I have my
'personal' calendar on my main machine at work, the information on
that calendar is periodically published (using webdav) to a web server
and all my other boxes use that as an 'On the Web' calendar.   I then
have a Google calendar setup for the family - my wife can then change
that calendar from wherever she is so that I know what I'm supposed to
be doing (and also what the rest of the family are doing).

Thanks.  Call me old-fashioned, but I've got some concern about posting information about
where my children are when, and what weeks the house will be empty because we're out
of town to an external location like Google.

My plan was/is:
A. I have my calendar, and I publish to webdav.  My wife has "On the Web" link to my calendar.
B. My wife has her calendar, and she publishes to webdav, and I have "On the Web link for it.
C. I periodically copy her calendar to my Personal one, and she does the same.   It seems like Evolution
is bright enough to not duplicate entries.
D. I hotsync my Personal Calendar to my smartphone, she hotsyncs her calendar to her Z22.
E. If she or I put a new item on our PDA's it will get synced back to our Personal calendars and
it will transfer to both our Personal Calendars the next day.

The downsides above would be if an item got moved or deleted, it would keep coming back
unless we both deleted it.

As I'm playing with it now,   it's not clear what makes Evolution reload the information.  I set it
to update every minute, and it doesn't show changes published on my wife's calendar, although
if I copy hers to mine I see the changes.    What's really strange is that if I show both the calendars,
after the copy her appointments dissappear, until I page down a couple of months, and then they
start showing up again.  Freaky.

The only down side to this is that I can't update my work calendar
remotely.

Anyway, good luck with it - I've been battling with Evo and CalDav for
a couple of years now - sometimes it works, then an update to Evo or
the server breaks things.  It is VERY frustrating.

Pete