Re: [Evolution] Anyone ever gotten CalDav or On the Web to work?

A. Is CalDav and "on the web" supposed to actually work? Has anyone gotten them to work? What are the correct URLs?

CalDav != WebDav  - You need a specific CalDav server rather than
just Apache configured with WebDav.  You need something like
Bedework or  RSCDS or the OSAF offering.  Unfortunately it seems
like things broke in Evo recently and CalDav stopped working. :-(

B. It seems that Caldav has the facility to allow entry of a userid, but not to refresh the calendar after a set time.

Yes. CalDav is an interactive server - you need to login to it (like with IMAP) and
the information in the calendar is polled about once a minute.

C. It seems "On the Web" has the facility to refresh, but no means of entering a userid.

"On the Web" are read only calendars and seem to be aimed at 'public'
things.  They work well with Google Calendars.

D. Is this some cruel joke?

Yes.

I have asked on this list previously about CalDav - it seems that the
CalDav standard is too young and evolving for Evolution to cope with
(I'm sure there's some snide comment one could make about Evolution
and evolving standards!).  It also looks like there is more desire to
get Exchange interoperability working than there is to get Evo working
with Open Standards.

My way of doing what you seem to want to do is the following - I have my
'personal' calendar on my main machine at work, the information on
that calendar is periodically published (using webdav) to a web server
and all my other boxes use that as an 'On the Web' calendar.   I then
have a Google calendar setup for the family - my wife can then change
that calendar from wherever she is so that I know what I'm supposed to
be doing (and also what the rest of the family are doing).

The only down side to this is that I can't update my work calendar
remotely.

Anyway, good luck with it - I've been battling with Evo and CalDav for
a couple of years now - sometimes it works, then an update to Evo or
the server breaks things.  It is VERY frustrating.

Pete