Re: [Evolution] [Usability] Is it safe to delete things in .gconf? (Documentation question)

Thanks!

On 4/1/07, Ritesh Khadgaray <khadgaray gmail com> wrote:
Heya,

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 12:23 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Not sure this is the right list for this. The usability issue from

  I believe a more appropriate list would be evolution-list at
gnome.org .

<SNIP>

out of curiosity, does changing the theme help ?

It did not help. Tried that after we sent the message when my dad had
time. It didn't effect the problem at all.

>    Now, if I run Evolution from my account it works fine, and
> additionally it only prints the first 3 lines above, so I assume this
> may be a problem with something in .gconf not being correct and
> showing up with a crash inside the subroutine eab_vcard_control_new.
> Anyone have a feeling for the validity of that idea?

Is there any backtrace given bu bug-buddy ?

There was but there were no symbols so it wasn't readable.

>    I did some Googling and found folks with other similar problems,
> mostly with the panel, etc., who managed to fix their problems by
> deleting directories down inside of .gconf. I'd like to try this on my
> dad's machine but I cannot find any info on whether it's safe to do.
> Is it?
Not sure, but to reset evolution settings

        $ gconftool-2  --recursive-unset /apps/evolution

I ended up moving the apps/evolution directory out of the way and
letting Evolution create a new one. After reentering the mail server
settings Evolution is now working correctly. No problems at all so it
was something in that directory apparently.

Anyway, now it's fixed. I still have the problem causing directory if
it's of interest to someone.

Take care,
Mark