Re: [Evolution] [Usability] Is it safe to delete things in .gconf? (Documentation question)

On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 14:49 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
Thanks!

On 4/1/07, Ritesh Khadgaray <khadgaray gmail com> wrote:
Heya,

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 12:23 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi,
   Not sure this is the right list for this. The usability issue from

  I believe a more appropriate list would be evolution-list at
gnome.org .

<SNIP>

out of curiosity, does changing the theme help ?

It did not help. Tried that after we sent the message when my dad had
time. It didn't effect the problem at all.

   Now, if I run Evolution from my account it works fine, and
additionally it only prints the first 3 lines above, so I assume this
may be a problem with something in .gconf not being correct and
showing up with a crash inside the subroutine eab_vcard_control_new.
Anyone have a feeling for the validity of that idea?

Is there any backtrace given bu bug-buddy ?

There was but there were no symbols so it wasn't readable.

   I did some Googling and found folks with other similar problems,
mostly with the panel, etc., who managed to fix their problems by
deleting directories down inside of .gconf. I'd like to try this on my
dad's machine but I cannot find any info on whether it's safe to do.
Is it?
Not sure, but to reset evolution settings

        $ gconftool-2  --recursive-unset /apps/evolution

I ended up moving the apps/evolution directory out of the way and
letting Evolution create a new one. After reentering the mail server
settings Evolution is now working correctly. No problems at all so it
was something in that directory apparently.

Anyway, now it's fixed. I still have the problem causing directory if
it's of interest to someone.

Probably a bug report ?
ps : Try looking up older bugzillas

Take care,