[Evolution] Error while Storing folder

Hi,

Each time I start evolution I get the following error:

Error while Storing folder 'Storage/Linux/debian-user'.

Cannot create folder lock
on /home/dz/.evolution/mail/local/Storage.sbd/Linux.sbd/debian-user: Too
many open files.

I have created many different storage folders for email from the
different people that I receive email from and this has built up over
the past three years I have been using this great product.

Sometimes evolution does not close down properly. It just hangs.

How can I rectify this problem?

Thanks