[Evolution] GMane & Evolution

To those reading this news group (or others with a large message
history) using gmane...

Is there a way I can limit the number of message headers that evolution
grabs and manages?  Every time I go to look at the list my system sits
and chugs away at 100% cpu (a 1.4ghz system) while it does something or
other with the list archives.  Most of the time I don't care what was
posted back in April of 2002.  Can I limit what it looks at to the past
3 months or something more reasonable?

--Dave