Re: [Evolution] delay when sending mail

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:17 -0400, Igor A. Nesterov wrote:
It's been said enough about delays and slowness in Evolution. Here is
yet another very annoying one. Documentation says that "Evolution
normally sends mail as soon as you click Send". Well, it's not really
true. When I click Send, a message goes to local Outbox and stay there
for a  noticeable time. I have not measured it, but it might be well
15-30 seconds. It's long enough to provoke a reaction to click on
Send/Receive and to try to send it manually. And this is in fact exactly
what happens - every time when I compose new message I send it manually
clicking on Send/Receive simply because Evolution is not quick enough.

It is SMTP sending mechanism. SMTP server is on corporate intranet with
a good response time. I could understand that the time while a message
stays in Outbox is actually consumed by the process of establishing SMTP
connection, but then it's the slowest one I ever seen among other mail
clients. Therefore, I still believe that Evolution does not try to send
a message immediately. How is it done internally? Is there a sort of
timer based poll for messages in Outbox or some other reason for the
delay?

It queues a send operation on a thread, but if it's busy (has other
things it's doing), then there will be a delay - how long is dependant
upon what has been previously queued in the thread.

Igor