Re: [Evolution] Mail notification for 2.6

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 22:06 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
[snip]
I have NEVER had any type of
notification and it really bugs me. Evolution has the option for at
least playing a sound, but that has never worked for me. Some type of
task tray notification would be best (currently using gnome).

mail-notification is for you!

I was hoping that with 2.6 it would "just work" but sadly it does not.

Can someone explain to me why built in notification does not work?

If your distro ships a particular set of packages, and one of them
doesn't work, you should complain to them (raise a bug on their
bugzilla).  They'll either come back with "we're already on it", "we
don't care", or "we're waiting for someone else to do something".  (or
possibly "first we heard of it").

[snip]
There's talk of patches, but if you update
Evo I assume those get whacked.

nope.  The patch is for multisync, so long as you don't update evo past
2.6.x multisync should still work.

In reading this thread I don't know who's responsibility this should be.
In some ways I would think it would be the evolution developers, but I
guess so many things change with updates and different distros, maybe
that's asking too much?

Eventually it's the responsibility of the multisync developers, if they
are in fact keeping it up to date.  But if a distro ships with a certain
set of packages (especially new ones like evo-2.6), it should be up to
the distro to do something about it in the short term, especially if a
simple patch already exists.

In my case it would even be nice to just have Evolution pop up a box on
the screen saying you have new mail (without running a secondary
external program). I would think this could be completely built in to
Evo and not have the issues like sound has.

Someone decided to do it in two packages instead of one - maybe it was
easier for them.  I don't mind, so long as it works. IMHO :)

There is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over.